GSOC 2022: Texture Domain Randomization

Dear Gazebo community,
I am a doctoral candidate in Graphics and Machine learning. I came across your GSOC project “Texture Domain Randomization” whereby you propose to incorporate Domain Randomization for camera, in order to reduce the sim2real difference. I am familiar with both C++ and python along with provable experience in generative modelling, I have some ideas that be used for the project. Looking for some contact for the discussion and further guidance to proceed. I will look into Ignition Gazebo to get acquainted with the further nuts and bolts of the environment. Looking forward to hear from you.

Hi @Aradhya_Neeraj_Mathu ,
Great to see your interest in this project. For starters I recommend looking at the ign-rendering repo for camera specifics. I recommend you start by building ignition from source and tackling a few simpler tasks before diving in to the source code itself.

Sure, thanks, will look into it.

As suggested I tried to build from source however during cmake I keep running into the following error on ubuntu 20.04 which i suspect is coming from the usage of -lpthreads instead of pthread. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Run Build Command(s):/usr/bin/make cmTC_4ef54/fast && /usr/bin/make -f CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/build.make CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/build
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/thor/gsoc/ign-rendering/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
Building C object CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o
/usr/bin/cc   -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create   -o CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o   -c /usr/share/cmake-3.16/Modules/CheckFunctionExists.c
Linking C executable cmTC_4ef54
/usr/bin/cmake -E cmake_link_script CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/link.txt --verbose=1
/usr/bin/cc  -DCHECK_FUNCTION_EXISTS=pthread_create    CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/CheckFunctionExists.c.o  -o cmTC_4ef54  -lpthreads 
/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lpthreads
collect2: error: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [CMakeFiles/cmTC_4ef54.dir/build.make:87: cmTC_4ef54] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/thor/gsoc/ign-rendering/build/CMakeFiles/CMakeTmp'
make: *** [Makefile:121: cmTC_4ef54/fast] Error 2

Hi @Aradhya_Neeraj_Mathu, can I check with you which compiler version you are using and have you followed these instructions to set up the dependencies?

Yes, I was able to resolve the error. It seems that the cmake raised an issue with -lpthreads which was a little misleading since the actual error arose from eigen dependency. I was trying to resolve it by prioritizing -pthread which incidentally was reducing the number of cmake errors. More details can be found in the issue I created here. Thanks.

As suggested I have gone over some of the tutorials, also I have been reading the papers on texture domain randomization, I was wondering what kind of integration do we want in ignition-rendering, starting with shading could be simpler since we can randomize the parameters for shading, such as the coefficients for diffused, specular and ambient reflections, similarly for the overall scene lighting.Going over the papers, I realise that most tend to learn it based on some environmental feedback do we as well wish to integrate some algorithms directly for continuous learning setup. Kindly let me know if this is the direction of thought that you wish to proceed in.