[GSoC 2020] Interest in adding support for more mesh formats in Gazebo

Hey all,

I’m a second year engineering student interested in adding support for more mesh formats in Gazebo. for GSoC 2020. I have some experience working with mesh files but that extends to exporting the mesh from SolidWorks and including it in my launch/URDF files. I feel working on this project would allow me to learn a great deal about mesh handling as well as familiarity with other mesh loading libraries.

I’m going through the MeshManager file to understand it’s current implementation. I’d love a few pointers and feedback from the mentors (@iche033).

Cheers!

The current mesh manager includes 3 mesh loaders: collada, wavefront obj, and stl. Depending on the extension the mesh file specified, it picks the relevant the mesh loader accordingly:
https://bitbucket.org/ignitionrobotics/ign-common/src/b9e59207b85cd0d8d987ed001f4bbcf725e2015c/graphics/src/MeshManager.cc#lines-141

So for the GSOC project, the student needs to either implement new mesh loaders (e.g. FBX, glTF2, etc) or integrate assimp to load other formats that are not currently supported yet.

1 Like