Ignition’s 6th collection, Fortress, is planned for release on September 30th 2021. Before each release, the team goes over all the tutorials using pre-releases to check that everything is working as it should and make final tweaks. It is incredibly important that these tutorials function smoothly as they are where our new users first meet Ignition and we want them to have a good experience. For this release, we’d like to invite the community to join the party! This should be a great opportunity for Gazebo-classic users to get their feet wet with its next generation. This is also a great opportunity for prospective interns to get familiar Ignition and meet the community.
We’ll be partying from September 22th until September 29th 2021. This year, to sweeten the pot we’ll be sending out Fortress t-shirts to the top five tutorial party animals (those who finish reviewing the most tutorials). We’ll also be including all tutorial reviewers in the release notes.
The party process is fairly simple, and if all goes according to plan you should be able to validate a few tutorials in an hour or two and check out some upgrades to Ignition. The steps are as follows:
- Pick a tutorial flavor, the Fortress release supports two installation methods (source and binaries) and four host operating systems (Ubuntu Bionic and Focal, and OSX Catalina and Windows 10).
- Install the nightlies on your computer (directions below).
- Sign up for the tutorial on the tracking spreadsheet by putting your name in the appropriate box.
- Run through the tutorial from start to finish! Be really thorough; if you think you could improve the tutorial feel free to add to it. At this point one of three things will happen:
- The tutorial works perfectly! ⇒ Put in “OK!” in the spreadsheet.
- The tutorial has issues…
- … but you can fix them and send us a PR. ⇒ Open the PR and drop a link in the spreadsheet.
- … You can’t fix them (that’s ok!) ⇒ Report the issue on the spread sheet!
- Record the results of your review in the spreadsheet
- Try another tutorial!
- Drop a note at the bottom of the post.
All Fortress libraries have nightly releases. The following installation methods are available:
- Install binaries on Ubuntu Bionic or Focal
- Build from source on Ubuntu Bionic or Focal
- Install binaries on MacOS Mojave or Catalina
- Build from source on MacOS Mojave or Catalina
- Install binaries on Windows 10
- Build from source on Windows 10
The spreadsheet will be published next week! Stay tuned!
The Ignition Dev Team