Gazebo's crashing is really driving me crazy

Hello, everyone. I have been using gazebo for a while to simulate a agv. But the experience in gazebo is no so good because i could experience gazebo’s gui crashing.
For example , when i accidently modify some link’s size to 0 by the gui and make sure, it just crash. (lose my done work). Is there any try catch? I think crash is really hurting. This could be done better.
Have you ever experience gazebo crashing ?

Hi there,

What version of Gazebo are you using, in which OS, and how did you install it?

That information is important because you may be using an old version with bugs that have already been fixed on newer versions.

Cheers

Thanks for replying.
I use the version of Gazebo multi-robot simulator, version 11.0.0 in ubuntu20.04 and I install it from the snap software center.
The crash is as such:

1. model editor zero size leads to crash
    gzclient: /build/ogre-1.9-kiU5_5/ogre-1.9-1.9.0+dfsg1/OgreMain/src/OgreNode.cpp:630:virtual void Ogre::Node::setScale(const Ogre::Vector3&): Suppose ‘!inScale.isNaN() && “Invalid vector supplied as parameter”’ fail。
    I add a sphere in model editor and change its visual length to 0 in the link inspector and click ok , the client wold crash. ( I accidently did this).
  2. plugin loading leads to crash
    I found it easily crash when i load models with plugin which may be configured incorrectly or have other problems.

I just tried Gazebo 11.1.0 and I can’t reproduce the crash when setting scale to zero. You should be able to get that version following these instructions.

It’s hard to help you unless you provide more specific information. Due to their nature, being pieces of code that run directly within Gazebo’s processes, plugins can easily crash Gazebo if they want to. We strive to make the plugins we distribute robust so that they never crash though.

If you have more technical questions, please direct them to https://answers.gazebosim.org/. This forum here is for more general discussion. When you post questions there, be sure to always explain how others can reproduce your problem. It’s very difficult to help someone without detailed information.

Sorry to hear that, I hope you get the help you need to fix the issues you’re seeing. We’re constantly releasing new versions with bug fixes, and we’re improving the entire architecture as we refactor Gazebo into Ignition. So if you have concrete suggestions on how things could be improved we’d love to hear them :wink:

Thanks. I will try your advice.