Gazebo v7.3.1 under Linux 4.14.71-v7+ and Raspberry Pi 3 b+ allways crashes when a camera model is inserted

gazebo v7.3.1 under Linux 4.14.71-v7+ and Raspberry Pi 3 b+ allways crashes when a camera model is inserted. I tried, sudo apt-get update and then upgrade and then purge the gazebo7 and also its development libs and finally, I re-installed everything but the problem persisted.

The camera sensor requires an offscreen rendering buffer. The raspberry Pi might not be able to support that, unless it has OpenGL support.

Before intervening, the Raspberry Pi 3 B+, 1. for running Gazebo was consuming, continuously around 98% of processing power, 2. the quality of the 3D image was, almost, terrible, 3. the response time was not productive (up to 5 seconds) and 4. the refresh time of the images was, around 4 seconds, 5. the Gazebo was crashing when I was inserting the camera model.
The intervention was, 1. to install the library libosmesa6 (sudo apt-get install libosmesa6), 2. through the main menu to use the “Raspberry Pi Configuration”-> Performance, to set the GPU Memory to 256 MB, and 3. through a terminal and sudo raspi-config -> “7 Advanced Options” -> “A7 GL Driver” -> “G2 GL (Fake KMS) OpenGL desktop driver with fake KMS”, to enable the OpenGL support, 4. The swap-memory file’s size was increased from 100 MB to 1 GB, (in a terminal window I used sudo gedit ~/etc/dphys-swapfile -> CONF_SWAPSIZE=1000).
The outcome was, 1. the processing power that was needed for Gazebo dropped to around 75%, 2. the quality of the 3D image became normal, 3. the response time became normally productive, 4. the refresh time became so fast that the movement of the scene went smooth, and 5. the camera model worked fine. Thanks.

Thanks for sharing that information.