Gazebo Harmonic - Problem with downloading Fuel resources from within GUI

Dear forum,

I installed Gazebo Harmonic (version 8.5.0) in Ubuntu 24.04 and ROS Jazzy, all running in WSL.

After opening empty world, I can not download and open a model via resource spawner. After downloading I don’t see any difference, but after clicking on resource I get: Error [SDF.cc:165] Tried to use callback in sdf::findFile(), but the callback is empty. Did you call sdf::setFindCallback()?

Anyone knows what can be wrong?

Yes, there was a recent regression that broke Resource Spawner. It’s being tracked in https://github.com/gazebosim/gz-sim/issues/2486 and there are a few PRs open to fix the issue. It should be resolved soon.

1 Like

Thank you for your response!

Glad to see it’s being worked on.

Regards!

It looks like this was fixed a month ago. When should I expect it to be included in apt install ros-humble-ros-gzharmonic

The releases of the "unofficial` ROS wrappers don’t have a regular cycle so I would recommend to create an issue asking for the release in GitHub - gazebo-release/ros_gz-gzharmonic-release

Thanks.

@jrivero that’s quite unfortunate. I’d expect that as soon as a new gz package is released, a PR is opened to get it into ROS repos, and that it will get there with the next sync.

Sorry Martin if I did not understand your point but I’m taking the chance to explain in detail the non ROS official wrappers and new ROS vendor (new Gazebo+ROS install method starting with Jazzy). I think that you are referring to the second while the non official ones are the ones we are speaking about in this thread:

The ros-humble-ros-gzharmonic (noted that gzharmonic notation which is different from the usual ros-humble-ros-gz) are part of what we called non ROS official (or non default) wrappers which are hosted in packages.osrfoundation.org and are not part of the ROS repositories. These wrappers uses standard Gazebo .deb packages from packages.osrfoundation.org and ship alternative Gazebo collections from the one officially in ROS (i.e: Humble ships officially Gazebo Fortress via ros-humble-ros-gz while the ros-humble-ros-gzharmonic brings Harmonic support for Humble).

Not to confuse with the new (starting from ROS 2 Jazzy) Gazebo ROS vendor packages. These are first class ROS packages and we work to have them fully updated with new Gazebo releases that bumps the minor and patch versions (i.e to have the latest Harmonic versions available as the ROS 2 Jammy Gazebo vendor packages).

Hope it helps, sorry if I missed your point originally.

Addedum: for anyone reading this and having no idea about which option should be the one to choose for your case, please just follow Installing Gazebo with ROS — Gazebo harmonic documentation which probably reduces the whole problem to just run sudo apt-get install ros-${ROS_DISTRO}-ros-gz.

Hmm, thanks for explanation. It seems things are getting a bit complicated, but I think I see the reasons.

1 Like